Each day continue your stretching program with a light 10-minute yoga session in the morning, for example:
Day by Day
Day 1: Launch Day!
- 2km easy pace to warm up
- 3*4 mins at your current race pace with 3 mins easy in between
- 6*50metre strides at 90% of maximum effort (walk back recovery)
- 2km easy pace to warm down followed by light stretches
Day 2: 10 minutes core exercises:
Day 3: Effort day – hill efforts
- Find a gradual incline, ideally c. 400m, that will take 90-120 seconds to run
- Easy run of 2km before hill efforts
- 5-6 hill efforts. Run hard up the hill and take it easy on the return
- Run continually with no rest
- Easy 2km to warm down to finish.
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: 10 minutes core exercises
Day 6: Long Run day – most important day of the week!
- 8-9km of easy running (continuous!)
- Try and pick a flat route this week
- Light stretches
Day 7: Rest